In all media, but particularly sports media, there are pre-determined agendas and angles that journalists will take based on a couple of indicators, rather than how the games play out. In some ways, it’s understandable as they work to tight deadlines and have to write reports on the fly.
So if you’re a budding journalist we thought we’d help you along by giving you the narrative you’ll need to satisfy your ever demanding editor.
POINTS YOU MUST MENTION
Scenario One; Manchester United beat Real Madrid
- Proof that the Premier League is the Greatest League in the World
- Ferguson proves to be a master tactician and the mind games of Mourinho have failed to work
- Mourinho is once again facing the axe
- Rooney/Van Persie (whoever scores) proves he’s world class and reaching Messi-like levels of brilliance
Scenario Two; Manchester United beat Real Madrid easily
All of scenario one with 50% more exclamation marks!!!
Scenario Three; Real Madrid beat Manchester United
- Maybe La Liga is Greatest League in the World
- Maybe Mourinho is a master tactician and the mind games of Ferguson have failed to work
- Ferguson may be contemplating his future if he can’t win another Champions League
- Ronaldo is world class and reaching Messi-like levels of brilliance. Compare him to Gareth Bale
- The tie isn’t over as Manchester United (use the full name) can never be ruled out in Europe. Mention the 1999 final.
Scenario Four; Real Madrid beat Manchester United easily
All of scenario three plus;
- How can English football be fixed.
- Mention how Real Madrid and Barcelona get more money from Spanish TV deals.
Scenario Five; A draw
- All to play for
- Cagey affair
- Two great managers getting their tactics right
- Double and triple emphasise any away goals
- Second leg will be a classic
If you’re just a plain old reader, then have fun spotting the themes in the various morning ‘papers and online reports. See if we’re wrong.
Don't miss out on your Balls.ie €50 sign up bonus with Ladbrokes - Follow this link and use code "Balls50" -
Unleash the good times with great group deals at a night at the dogs
Got a story or a tip? Email [email protected]