These days the qualities of politicians seem almost a prerequisite for life as a professional boxer.
Not that he hadn't known already, Dennis Hogan has been given a harsh reminder of such over the last fortnight as he awaits the results of a recount from his WBO light-middleweight title bout with Jamie Munguia.
On the night, the judges may have awarded the Mexican a controversial decision in his homeland, but shortly after the bout the WBO ordered a recount - the results of which are expected tomorrow, Balls.ie can reveal.
As for the implications of the recount: well, that remains rather cryptic at best.
But while the Kildare native doesn't believe the decision will be overturned, he does believe the results of the recount could add ammunition to his cause when looking for a rematch.
Speaking to Balls.ie, the Australian-based fighter expressed hope ahead of tomorrow's news - which the Irishman had initially expected yesterday:
People have gone crazy over the decision, which has forced the WBO into a recount. From what I know of a recount is: they will grab five independent judges, they will get them to sit there and view the fight back with no audio and they will gauge themselves how the rounds should have been scored and they will come back with a verdict on that. All I know is we're all sitting by to wait and hear what the verdict of this is and obviously what the implications of that may lead to.
To be honest, I think only twice in history has a fight ever been overturned. But I think it does warrant a rematch. At the end of the fight, one of the promoters that promotes Munguia came flying over and said, 'We're giving you a rematch.' And I said, 'I will take that rematch.'
Munguia said at the end of the fight that he thought it was a draw. He, himself, in his own country, as the champion, thought it was a draw - which would implicate that he would have known that I had won the majority of rounds.
If, on the off-chance, he wants to go to middleweight as he has spoken about, then I believe I should be number one mandatory and I should fight somebody else for the vacant title.
Should Hogan be afforded a rematch contract negotiations look set to be as complicated as ever, after Hogan voiced disapproval with drug-testing procedures during the build-up and aftermath of his world title bout.
— DAZN USA (@DAZN_USA) April 14, 2019
The Irishman claims drug-testing, despite being written into the contract, never occurred before or after the fight, raising numerous suspicions from the outset.
In the lead-up to the fight I was saying, 'I haven't been drug-tested so I doubt he has been.' On the day of the weigh-in at the fighters' meeting we brought it up because it was in the contract. So we said, 'let's get that down.' The supervisor went off and said he would have the right conversations and make that happen. He walked off and that was it.
And after the fight I waited for two hours in the dressing room and nobody came. That's against the laws. They asked at the Canelo-Jacobs press conference, I believe, why there was no drug-testing and they said the labs were supposed to turn up and they never did. Anybody can take from that what they will.
I'm sure the WBO are not happy with the fact I've spoken about that, I don't know. All I can say is what happened. That's not really satisfactory for me.
Either way, Hogan anticipates to be back in the ring within three to four months and in contention for world titles to boot. Whether that's in a rematch with Munguia or for a vacant title remains to be seen.
Such moves will only be considered once the results of the recount are made known tomorrow and, more importantly, the implications of said recount are revealed.
Since the loss earlier this month Hogan has dropped to third in the WBO rankings; nevertheless, the fight has naturally attracted attention and may serve as a silver lining for the 34-year-old who now believes his "brand is massive".
Whatever tomorrow holds, the Hogan name has certainly risen since his world title shot. More is sure to follow - once tomorrow is out of the way.