• Home
  • /
  • Boxing
  • /
  • Irish Boxers Speak Facts About Farcical Benn-Eubank Jr Fight Situation

Irish Boxers Speak Facts About Farcical Benn-Eubank Jr Fight Situation

Irish Boxers Speak Facts About Farcical Benn-Eubank Jr Fight Situation
By Michael Bolton
Share this article

Boxing fans are outraged as this weekend’s hugely anticipated fight between Conor Benn and Chris Eubank Jr has been put into turmoil following Conor Benn failing a drugs test.

This fight was set to be an all-British classic shown on DAZN at 157 pounds, 29 years after their fathers Nigel Benn and Chris Eubank clashed at Old Trafford.

A win for Benn would make him one of the biggest rising stars in boxing, while victory for Eubank Jr would edge him closer towards a title shot.

However, the news broke this morning that confirmed that Conor Benn had tested positive for “adverse analytical finding” for traces of a fertility drug in a random drugs test.

Despite the Liverpool fighter testing positive, a joint statement from Matchroom boxing and Wasserman confirmed the fight would still take place.

“The B sample has yet to be tested, meaning that no rule violation has been confirmed. Indeed, Mr.Benn has not been charged with any rule violation, he is not suspended, and he remains free to fight.|”

The decision to go ahead with the fight caused outrage across the boxing world, with Irish boxers Michael Conlan and Carl Frampton

Advertisement

Advertisement
Recommended

However, in a fresh twist to developments, the British Boxing Board of Control has said the fight cannot go ahead.

READ HERE: What We Know About Katie Taylor's Next Opponent 

In a statement by the board they said:

Advertisement

“On the evening of 4th October 2022, the board of the British Boxing Board of Control Limited resolved that the contest between Chris Eubank Jnr. and Conor Benn scheduled to take place on 8th October 2022 is prohibited and it is not in the interests of boxing.

That was communicated to the Boxers and Promoters involved on the morning of 5th October 2022.”

With both fighters set to participate in the open workouts this afternoon, Eddie Hearn provided an update for fans, with both fighters set to participate in the open workouts.

Advertisement

Advertisement

“Both guys signed up to a magnitude of testing for this fight, the UK testing which is obviously the testing agency of the British boxing board of control use and are governed by, have all been clearing negative, and there was an adverse finding in a VADA testing previously.

Conor Benn is not suspended by the British Boxing Board of Control. Ultimately, he can't be because he’s passed all the tests from UKID, but clearly the British Boxing Board of Control will take a position on it.

Both camps prepare to progress with the fight, but ultimately the conversations have to be had with the lawyers, the teams and the British Boxing Board of Control.”

Conor Benn spoke at the open workouts, confirming both him and Eubank want the fight to proceed on Saturday.

"I've not committed any violations. I've not been suspended, so as far as I'm concerned the fight is still going ahead.

I've spoken to Chris personally and we both want the fight to go ahead. We've both taken medical and legal advice, we want the fight to happen for the fans.

I'm a clean athlete, and we'll get to the bottom of this."

More as we get it.

SEE ALSO: Anthony Joshua In Tears After Tossing Belts And Making Speech After Defeat

 

Join The Monday Club Have a tip or something brilliant you wanted to share on? We're looking for loyal Balls readers free-to-join members club where top tipsters can win prizes and Balls merchandise

Processing your request...

You are subscribed now!

Share this article

Copyright © 2022. All rights reserved. Developed by Square1 and powered by PublisherPlus.com

Advertisement