We've noted that there's been a notable change in tone from the UK media over the coverage of the mooted Fury-Joshua fight and Dubliner Daniel Kinahan's role in possibly making it happen. A number of articles from British broadsheets written over the past few days have picked up on concerned commentary from Irish politicians.
One of the most outspoken Irish politicians about the issue has been Fine Gael TD Neale Richmond, who's one of the Dáil's more prominent voices on sport. Richmond says he specifically wrote to Sky Sports and BT Sports about Kinahan following Tyson Fury's video last week and called on them both to 'make sure they're both aware who Daniel Kinahan is.'
Big concerns remain over the role of Daniel Kinahan in the #FuryJoshua fight. Lots of questions for potential broadcasters, sponsors & hosts. pic.twitter.com/TY949worHr
— Neale Richmond (@nealerichmond) June 11, 2020
Today we learned that Sky Sports have formally replied to Deputy Richmond. Today's Irish Sun says that Sky contacted Richmond and said the following:
"We note the contents of your letter and the serious concerns that you have raised."
This is the latest gesture of distancing to come from Sky Sports in relation to Kinahan. On Friday, they issued a statement saying: "We have not been involved in negotiations for a possible Joshua v Fury fight. All our broadcast deals are subject to careful consideration."
BT Sports issued a statement on Friday along similar lines.
As the UK media continues to do more reading, we eagerly await more specifics on the details of Fury-Joshua.