Two more players are what Jose Mourinho said he wanted on Tuesday when asked about his squad as the new Premier League season nears.
The Manchester United manager later said, "I don't answer to your question" when queried if his current group could win the league without additions.
ESPN reports that Man Utd have made inquiries with Bayern Munich regarding Thiago Alcantara. Though, Chelsea are also said to have done the same.
The Spanish international has been linked with a move away from the Bundesliga this season with Kicker reporting he would cost $70 million. Germans champions Bayern are looking to clear some of the midfield clutter in their squad.
The 27-year-old midfielder, who joined Munich from Barcelona five years ago, has also this summer been linked with a return to his home club.
According to The Independent's Miguel Delaney, Mourinho is also looking at Croatia winger Ante Rebic as an option. The 24-year-old who currently plays for Eintracht Frankfurt is seen as a more realistic alternative to his international teammate Ivan Perisic and Chelsea's Willian.
Man Utd were linked with a move for Inter Milan winger Persic last summer. However, his age - he will be 30 in February - and asking price were both stumbling blocks. Following a superb World Cup, the latter number has nearly doubled.
Earlier this week, Man Utd were linked with a move for Leicester and England centre-back Harry Maguire. A fee of at least £50 million was mentioned.
A slightly cheaper option has since also been mentioned: Colombia World Cup centre-back Yerry Mina. The 23-year-old Barcelona defender scored against England the last-16 of the World Cup.
According to French outlet RMC, Man Utd have entered the race for Mina. That race already featured Everton and Lyon. The French club are said to have offered €30 million for the player.
Picture credit: Shutterstock.com