Without a doubt, the height of Celtic Tiger excess was when hot tub showrooms started to appear on the outskirts of Ireland's major cities. The money went and so did those comforting bubbles. It's been plain old stagnant water for us ever since.
Without wishing to sound horribly bitter, most Premier League footballers don't have to deal with the peaks and troughs of economic mismanagement. Instead, it's the easy life all the way. Except when your hot tub goes on fire.
That's exactly what has happened to Man United defender Chris Smalling. According to the MEN, 'emergency crews rushed to the plush pad on millionaires' row in Bowdon, Altrincham, last night after the device caught alight in the back garden.'
The fire is thought to have been caused by an electrical fault and it had spread to some decking before firefighters could extinguish it. Smalling was not at home when the incident occurred.