After 40 years working with RTÉ, Eamon Dunphy announced on Wednesday that he has left the national broadcaster.
In a tweet sent from the account of his podcast, The Stand, Dunphy said that he had been offered a new deal - and a small pay rise - two years ago but had turned it down. He told RTÉ of his decision to leave before the World Cup.
In his Irish Daily Star column on Thursday, Dunphy explained some of the reasons for his departure.
The 72-year-old said that the situation hasn't been right at RTÉ over the past two years. He believes those in charge have become too conservative regarding the coverage of sport.
Prior to the 2016 European Championships, the panel was told to take it easy on Martin O'Neill. This differed from the approached of previous heads of sport such as Tim O'Connor and Glen Killane.
"But RTÉ is a very different place now. It's a place that lives in fear of keyboard warriors on Twitter or Facebook," wrote Dunphy.
He feels that if social media had existed during Italia 90, he would not have been in a job.
"Executives now take notice of social media and what is being said.
"That's one of the evils of modernity - the social media thing. It puts down anyone who has a contrarian view. Anyone who has their own mind is immediately a target."
He calls social media, "a vicious, ignorant, dark world".
Dunphy also believes that TV3 has created a stronger analysis panel with Graeme Souness, Neil Lennon and Brian Kerr. Whereas RTÉ "came up with stunts like inviting Hope Solo in as a guest" for the World Cup.
He added that he no longer want to work in an environment where people 'play it safe'.
Dunphy will continue to work on his podcast - "The final chapter hasn't been written yet, baby."
Picture credit: Stephen McCarthy / SPORTSFILE