Minister for Sport Shane Ross has told the Oireachtas Committee that the FAI has written to him confirming they will step down.
Ross made the announcement during his opening statement to the committee, with the FAI confirming they will step down in July.
The letter, written by FAI President Donal Conway, confirmed the board will step down. It comes a day after Honorary Secretary Michael Cody and Honorary Treasurer Eddie Murray both voluntarily resigned from the Board.
Former CEO John Delaney also voluntarily stood aside from carrying out his role as Executive Vice-President with immediate effect pending the completion of an independent investigation.
Ross welcomed the news and called for an EGM to take place.
I welcome that the FAI is engaging with Sport Ireland in a process, and that they have now indicated that the board will step down. I believe that an EGM should be called before the July date, as soon as the active investigations have been concluded, to facilitate a transition to a new board by way of transparent elections.
Ross was also critical of the FAI's Monday statement: "Yesterday’s announcement that the former CEO had voluntarily stepped aside pending an “independent” investigation fell far short of expectations."
The Minister welcomed the Sport Ireland decision to suspend funding and confirmed this will remain the case until proper answers are provided: "I can add that there will be no further Government funding for the FAI until we see real change and reform in the association’s corporate governance, and until we have credible answers."
Earlier today, the auditors of the FAI said proper books and accounting records were not kept. They reported the association to the Companies Registration Office have filed a notice with the companies registration office.
The committee had been due to go into session at 11am but was delayed after this information emerged.