11FREUNDE, otherwise known as one of Germany's biggest football culture magazine, decided to travel to the real heart of the Euro 2016 experience: the Irish fans on the ground. Ron Ulrich and Christoph Küppers of the magazine got some superb clips of the Irish fans, along with some cracking interviews with ever so slightly inebriated Irish fans. Superb. If you were in France it will take you back, while if you weren't, it'll make you very jealous.
While some parts will be unintelligible to those who don't speak German, the parts involving Irish fans are well worth it.
It comes in two parts. Here's the first part. Reasons to watch this include:
- The bizarre interview with the Irish fan purporting to be Jesus Christ
- The Irish fan who went to Italia 90 and never came home
- The wry smiles on the faces of the French police when serenaded by Irish supporters
And here's the second part. Reasons to watch this part include:
- The Irish fan explaining the concept of Eamon Dunphy to the German reporter
- The subsequent bemused look on the German reporter's face when met with the Eamon Dunphy/Rod Liddle quote
Superb. Thanks to the guys at 11FREUNDE for sending these on, and also to the Irish fans on the ground who recommended they send the videos to us. You're all lovely.
Visit the 11FREUNDE website here.