The incredible match between Dundalk and Shamrock Rovers from February 28, just a few days before the pandemic ruined everything, feels like it took place on a rainsoaked evening in Tallaght a century ago. It gifted the world a number of amazing goals and one of them has been nominated for one of FIFA's highest acclaims. FIFA today confirmed that Jordan Flores's stunning goal for Dundalk is among the nominees for the 2020 Puskas award.
GOAL OF THE YEAR |
Never mind winning LOI goal of the year, could this Jordan Flores strike win the #Puskas award?
Another brilliant representation of the quality in our league that we strive to promote on the page!#OurLeagueOurPassion
(Footage courtesy of @rtesport) pic.twitter.com/K0cEQb4cfc
— League Of Ireland Media (@loimedia) February 28, 2020
It's the second time a goal scored on Irish soil has been nominated for the Puskas. Stephanie Roche's goal for Peamount United versus Wexford Youths was nominated for the 2014 Puskas, and turned her into a global star.
For his goal, Flores somehow managed to volley a Michael Duffy corner with an extended left boot raised to about face height, while keeping his right foot planted. The velocity of the shot is incredible and the goal is only enhanced by having commentary from George Hamilton. FIFA today have basically claimed it was one of the best 11 goals scored in the world this year.
These are Flores's fellow nominees:
- Shirley Cruz – Costa Rica v. Panama
- Giorgian De Arrascaeta – Ceará SC v. CR Flamengo
- André-Pierre Gignac – UANL Tigres v. Pumas UNAM
- Sophie Ingle – Arsenal WFC v. Chelsea FC Women
- Zlatko Junuzović – SK Rapid Wien v. FC Red Bull Salzburg
- Hlompho Kekana – Mamelodi Sundowns FC v. Cape Town City FC
- Son Heung-min – Tottenham Hotspur FC v. Burnley FC
- Leonel Quiñónez – Universidad Católica v. CSD Macará
- Luis Suárez – FC Barcelona v. RCD Mallorca
- Caroline Weir – Manchester City WFC v. Manchester United WFC
The winner will be chosen both by a jury of football legends and a fan vote, with the vote splitting equally. Public voting runs until 9 December and can be done on FIFA.com.
It is one of the few Puskas nominees to have a committed troupe of truthers. This alternative angle shows that rather than blast into the top right corner off the keeper's finger tips, Rovers goalie Alan Mannus got his hand to the ball and arguably should have saved it.
Some people even wonder if it was Flores's best goal of February 2020.
— MUNDIAL (@MundialMag) October 2, 2020