For a player that gave so much to the club, the way Luis Suarez was treated by Barcelona in the summer of 2020 did not sit right with many.
With their financial situation worsening, the club were keen to get the striker off their books ahead of last season. Ronald Koeman also did not want the player in his squad after his appointment, informing Suarez over the phone that he was not in his plans.
Of course, the Uruguayan would go on to join Atletico Madrid, leading them to the La Liga title in his debut campaign in the Spanish capital.
Only last week, he would score against his former club, with many feeling his phone call celebration was directed at Koeman. The Dutchman certainly did not look too happy as he served a touchline ban from the stands.
Luis Suarez was told over the phone by Ronald Koeman that he wasn't in his plans. Tonight, he scored against Barcelona and made this gesture 📞👀
Report: https://t.co/iDrPk19tWy pic.twitter.com/0mg0yfIjMA
— Match of the Day (@BBCMOTD) October 2, 2021
Koeman's reaction to Suarez's goal was full of regret 🤐 pic.twitter.com/YwGhm32as6
— ESPN FC (@ESPNFC) October 2, 2021
Despite this, he has now gone into more detail on that infamous phone call. Speaking to Gerard Romero on Twitch, Suarez said that the whole thing lasted only 40 seconds.
The call from Koeman to tell me that [I wasn't in his plans] lasted 40 seconds, it's not the way to say goodbye to a legend.
First, he told me that I wasn't in his plans, and then he told me that if I didn't get my contract sorted out, I was going to play against Villarreal.
He lacked the personality to tell me clearly if he didn't want me or if it was really the club that didn't want me. They were very difficult days because of everything I gave to the club.
It's fair to say Koeman won't be on Suarez's Christmas card list for the foreseeable future.
Despite managing to offload Suarez last summer, Barcelona's financial situation would worsen severely over the months that followed. It ultimately resulted in Lionel Messi joining PSG.