• Home
  • /
  • Football
  • /
  • Report: O'Neill And Keane Set For Sack After Emergency Meeting

Report: O'Neill And Keane Set For Sack After Emergency Meeting

Report: O'Neill And Keane Set For Sack After Emergency Meeting
By PJ Browne Updated

Martin O'Neill reportedly attended an emergency meeting with FAI CEO John Delaney on Tuesday night.

According to The Telegraph's Luke Edwards, a journalist who has broken stories related to O'Neill in the past, Delaney was alarmed by the poor attendance at Ireland's goalless draw with Northern Ireland at the Aviva last week and hopes that a change of management team will end criticism of the FAI.

It's said that O'Neill's time as Ireland manager 'appears to be at an end' and that his coaching staff, including Roy Keane, will also depart.

It is also said that sentiments expressed by banners which were confiscated by stewards at Monday night's Nations League draw with Denmark helped persuade Delaney that a change was required. Banners which read 'Delaney Out' were taken from fans carrying them.

Though 2018 has been a torrid year for the Irish team - their only win came in a friendly against USA and just four goals were scored - it had been assumed that O'Neill would remain in place due to the compensation which would presumably be due should his term end early.

Ireland's next game will be in March as part of the Euro 2020 qualifiers. The group stage draw for those qualifiers takes place on December 2nd.

Photo by Stephen McCarthy/Sportsfile

Advertisement

See Also: Ireland's Potential Opponents For Euro 2020 Qualifying Confirmed


Join The Monday Club Have a tip or something brilliant you wanted to share on? We're looking for loyal Balls readers free-to-join members club where top tipsters can win prizes and Balls merchandise

Processing your request...

You are subscribed now!

Copyright © 2022. All rights reserved. Developed by Square1 and powered by PublisherPlus.com

Advertisement