• Home
  • /
  • Football
  • /
  • Moyes Admits Randolph Interest, But Woodgate Says Deal Not Close

Moyes Admits Randolph Interest, But Woodgate Says Deal Not Close

Moyes Admits Randolph Interest, But Woodgate Says Deal Not Close
By Gary Connaughton
Share this article

As all Ireland fans will attest to, Darren Randolph is an excellent goalkeeper. He has been absolutely fantastic for his country ever since taking over the number one jersey in 2015.

There have been some unbelievable performances in the intervening year and in big games too. That form has translated to club level, with the Bray native being named in the Championship Team of the Season last term.

Unfortunately for the player and his club, this season has not gone to plan. Randolph has struggled with injuries throughout the campaign, while results have deteriorated at a rapid result.

Middlesbrough currently sit in 16th place in the table, and while this is a slight improvement in their position compared to earlier in the season, it is not acceptable for a team that play-off aspirations back in August.

Recommended

It would be fair to say that Randolph should be operating at a higher level and he has been linked with a move to the Premier League.

West Ham have been credited with an interest in his services. Randolph spent two years at the London club from 2015-2017, and with David Moyes seeking goalkeeping reinforcements, a move for their former player has been considered.

Moyes today confirmed that there was an interest in Randolph, but he was only one of a number of goalkeepers they were keeping an eye on:

Advertisement

If good players are available, we’ll be looking at them. But we’re talking to other goalkeepers, not just Darren.

There are others in the pipeline too, but I know we’re looking to add another goalkeeper to the squad.

For Moyes to acknowledge the possibility of a move would suggest that the interest is serious, and it has been suggested that they have had a bid rejected for the player.

Advertisement

Meanwhile, Boro boss Jonathan Woodgate said there was no update to give on the player's future and that no bid has been placed.

Darren is a Middlesbrough player, there’s no updates on that until I tell you otherwise.

He’s an important player for me and the squad. No one has come in for him with a bid so we’ll cross that bridge when we get there.

SEE ALSO: Jose Mourinho Dampens Hopes Troy Parrott Could Act As Kane Deputy

Join The Monday Club Have a tip or something brilliant you wanted to share on? We're looking for loyal Balls readers free-to-join members club where top tipsters can win prizes and Balls merchandise

Processing your request...

You are subscribed now!

Share this article

Copyright © 2023. All rights reserved. Developed by Square1 and powered by PublisherPlus.com

Advertisement