So it turns out the frontrunner for the Ireland manager's job is not such a nailed on certainty after all.
Martin O'Neill is believed to have already held talks with Crystal Palace about the vacant manager's position, which has been available since Ian Holloway's departure a week ago.
The news that O'Neill may yet turn up in the dugout at Selhurst Park rather than the Aviva has come as something as a surprise to a lot of people, especially as Palace seem doomed to relegation already, but perhaps the lure of daily management, even at the bottom of the Premier League, is more attractive than international management.
Pros to O'Neill choosing Crystal Palace...
1. Day to day management in the 'Greatest League in the World'.
2. A chance to demonstrate the world famous 'O'Neill Effect' one more time at club level.
3. The opportunity to manage 3 Irish Premier League players, an option he otherwise wouldn't have.
4. He would get to pick Marouane Chamakh rather than Conor Sammon
Pros to O'Neill choosing Ireland...
1. He will get paid more for doing less work.
2. No chance of relegation and having to work in the Championship.
3. The 'O'Neill Effect' is more likely to work over ten matches, when all teams start from zero.
4. The opportunity to manage his 'home' country to Euro 2016, a tournament we could actually qualify for.
If you had the choice, nationality aside, would you choose to manage Ireland or Crystal Place...