Russian activists Pussy Riot have claimed responsibility for the pitch invasion during the World Cup final between Croatia and France that saw play suspended.
Four invaders in uniform interrupted the game in the second half during France's 4-2 victory in Moscow. The incident occurred while Russian president Vladimir Putin looked on from the stand.
— FutbolMatrix ⚽ (@Futbol_Matrix) July 15, 2018
The group released a lengthy statement on their Facebook page in the aftermath, claiming responsibility.
They included a list of six demands.
When the earthly policeman enters the game, we demand to:
1. Let all political prisoners free.
2. Not imprison for “likes”.
3. Stop Illegal arrests on rallies.
4. Allow political competition in the country.
5. Not fabricate criminal accusations and not keep people in jails for no reason.
6. Turn the earthly policeman into the heavenly policeman.
The game did eventually get underway, although players had interacted with the protestors.
— André Noruega (@AndreOstgaard) July 15, 2018