It's not been a great summer for Arsenal so far, the almost-certain departure of Alexis Sanchez is set to leave a gap in their squad that may not be filled due to the club's unprecedented inability to offer Champions League Football next season.
Because of this, Arsene Wenger needs to be a lot more aggressive in the transfer window and to cut the man some slack it looks like he's already out chasing players having been recently spotted in Nice along with his Chief Executive Ivan Gazidis. reports coming out today all but confirmed that the pair were there on business.
Reports coming out today have all but confirmed that the pair were there on business and looking over what's been a particularly huge day of Arsenal news here are the developments that have broken so far.
If there's been any team that seems to be at the centre of the transfer rumour train it's Monaco and today The Gunners put £30m on the table for Thomas Lemar in what would be a direct like-for-like replacement for Sanchez. The 21-year-old is versatile, can score and create goals and at £30m would be a huge bargain, but Monaco
The 21-year-old is versatile, can score and create goals, and at £30m would be a huge bargain, but Monaco have subsequently rejected Arsenal's approach for the star according to multiple media outlets.
— B/R Football (@brfootball) June 28, 2017
Despite this Arsenal are expected to come back with a higher bid for the versatile midfielder and according to Goal.com Wenger believes that signing Lemar may open a gateway to push through a deal for his sought-after teammate Killian Mbappe (sigh) who is expected to make a final decision on his future when he returns from holiday.
The Mbappe deal doesn't look promising for Arsenal as the star is largely expected to stay at Monaco having been offered a 900% increase to his paycheck according to The Metro, on top of this if Mbappe is to leave it looks ever more likely that his future will be in Madrid.
Lyon president says again Lacazette can go for right price (£46m plus £10m). Also says Arsenal have told him Olivier Giroud is not for sale
— Kaveh Solhekol (@SkyKaveh) June 26, 2017
But today's French smash and grab didn't end stop at Monaco as The Telegraph are reporting that Arsenal have also bid £56m on Alexandre Lacazette. Wenger had previously put in a bid for the striker believed to be in the region of about £44m but it was subsequently rejected with Lyon's President Jean-Michel Aulas saying that he expects to receive at least £57m for the 26-year old.
But that's not all......
The Gunners have also been in touch with Leicester about former Ligue 1 player Ryad Mahrez with the Algerian expected to cost around the same as Lemar.
Riyad Mahrez is considering the offer of a four-year deal from Arsenal after growing tired of pursuing a move to Barcelona. [SPORT] pic.twitter.com/l0fA8JhNMu
— EPL Bible (@EPLBible) June 28, 2017
All in all, it looks like Arsenal have offered over £85m for players today and it has yet to be seen whether they will have anything to show for their work.