The 2023 All-Ireland senior football championship sees the debut of a brand new format (again), with a second go at a group phase in the Sam Maguire.
The new format sees places in the All-Ireland series decided by a combination of factors. The previous year's Tailteann Cup winners (in this case, Westmeath) are guaranteed a place, while all the provincial finalists will also play in the Sam Maguire series. The remaining spots will be filled through the ranking of county's league positions.
It's a complicated system that has added intrigue and jeopardy to the provincial championships, and left fans wondering who has sealed their place in the 16-team group stage.
We have all the info you need on the teams who have secured their place in the 2023 All-Ireland football championship.
2023 All-Ireland football championship: The teams who have qualified for Sam Maguire
We have a full explainer on the new All-Ireland football championship format for 2023 right here, but the gist of it is this. 16 teams will contest the All-Ireland series, with four groups of four seeing each team play one home game, one away game, and one game at a neutral venue. The 16 teams will qualify from:
- The eight provincial finalists
- The 2022 Tailteann Cup winners (Westmeath)
- The remaining seven spots will be filled by the seven next highest-ranked teams from the 2023 Allianz League who do not fall into either of the above categories
With the provincial championships motoring along at a fierce pace, we have nearly all of the slots filled, with just a few remaining.
The teams who have confirmed their place in the 2023 All-Ireland football championship are:
- Westmeath (2022 Tailteann Cup winners)
- Kerry (Munster championship finalists)
- Clare (Munster championship finalists)
- Sligo (Connacht championship finalists)
- Galway (Connacht championship finalists)
- Louth (Leinster championship finalists)
- Derry (Ulster championshiop finalists)
- Armagh (qualified through league position)
- Mayo (qualified through league position)
- Roscommon (qualified through league position)
- Monaghan (qualified through league position)
- Dublin (qualified through league position)
- Tyrone (Ulster championship finalists)
- Donegal (qualified through league position)
- Kildare (qualified through league position)
- Cork (qualified through league position)
The four provincial winners will be top seeds in the Sam Maguire draw, while the defeated finalists will be second seeds.
The order of the third and fourth seeds will be determined by league finishing position in descending order.
2023 All-Ireland football championship: The teams who will contest the Tailteann Cup
The remaining counties will contest the 2023 Tailteann Cup. They are as follows:
- New York
The rankings above are the order of the seeds, with New York entering the competition at a provisional quarter-final stage.