• Home
  • /
  • GAA
  • /
  • Ridiculous Double-Save Sends UL Into Fitzgibbon Cup Final

Ridiculous Double-Save Sends UL Into Fitzgibbon Cup Final

Ridiculous Double-Save Sends UL Into Fitzgibbon Cup Final
Brian Barry
By Brian Barry
Share this article

Reigning champions University of Limerick are through to the Electric Ireland Fitzgibbon Cup final after a narrow 0-19 to 0-16 victory over hosts SETU Waterford in the penultimate stage.

In what was a tight contest throughout, they had net-minder Dean Mason for eventually getting them over the line, as they qualified for Saturday's decider where they will face University of Galway.

The showpiece will be live on TG4 from 1pm Saturday.

16 February 2023; Michael Kiely of University of Limerick in action against Josh Fitzgerald of SETU Waterford during the Electric Ireland HE GAA Fitzgibbon Cup Semi-Final match between SETU Waterford and UL at SETU West Campus in Waterford. Photo by Michael P Ryan/Sportsfile

UL get the job done

The first-half was a tale of two marksmen, as Reuben Halloran (0-6) and Gearoid O'Connor (0-9) traded scores. The opening 30 minutes failed to separate the sides, with the scoreboard reading 0-12 apiece at the half-way mark.

The crucial moment came on the 36-minute mark. University of Limerick goalkeeper Mason, fresh from helping Ballyhale Shamrocks to the All-Ireland Club Championship title, pulled off a stunning double-save.


First the Kilkenny man denied Gavin Fives, before he scrambled to his feet to save a Sean Walsh shot. Seconds later, UL worked the ball up the field and Tipperary's Bryan O'Meara fired over from half-way.


You can watch Mason's theatric double-save in the video below (time-stamped 39:50):

It was a real momentum-shifter, as UL went on to score five points without reply, moving into a 0-17 to 0-13 lead.

Nonetheless, the hosts continued to keep the scoreboard ticking over. Padraig Fitzgerald's third of the evening was eye-catching, while another Halloran free also kept the home side in touch.

Limerick star Colin Coughlan and Gearoid O'Connor pushed it out to a 0-19 to 0-16 advantage, as SETU Waterford were forced to switch their focus to green flags with the clock continuing to tick down.


With injury-time almost elapsed, they were awarded a free on the 20-metre line. Billy Nolan unleashed a bullet, but UL had Mason to thank once more as the shot-stopper produced another dramatic save.

UL are back in the final, and judging by their gritty display on Thursday night, they are in no mood to relinquish control of the Dr Edwin Fitzgibbon Cup just yet.

SEE ALSO: Billy Morgan Extends Stunning Record As UCC Claim Sigerson Cup

billy morgan sigerson cup final



Join The Monday Club Have a tip or something brilliant you wanted to share on? We're looking for loyal Balls readers free-to-join members club where top tipsters can win prizes and Balls merchandise

Processing your request...

You are now subscribed!

Share this article

Copyright © 2024. All rights reserved. Developed by Square1 and powered by PublisherPlus.com