• Home
  • /
  • GAA
  • /
  • Fitzgibbon Cup: UL Reach Quarters While UCD Claim Dramatic Win In Maynooth

Fitzgibbon Cup: UL Reach Quarters While UCD Claim Dramatic Win In Maynooth

Fitzgibbon Cup: UL Reach Quarters While UCD Claim Dramatic Win In Maynooth
Michael Bolton
By Michael Bolton
Share this article

In tonight's action in the Fitzgibbon Cup, University of Limerick were able to comfortably reach the quarter-finals with a 2-24 to 1-13 win over their neighbours TUS Midwest.

While Maynooth looked like they were about to cause the shock of the round, until a late UCD rally ensured a 1- 23 to 0-22 victory to start their campaign.

In an all-Limerick tie of the Electric Ireland Fitzgibbon Cup, University of Limerick got off to a quick start, with Gearoid O'Connor guiding them to an early 0-3 to 0-0 lead after three minutes.

However, in uncharacteristic fashion, the defending champions were wasteful in attack, with seven wide's in the first half. TUS Midwest took advantage, with Robin Mounsey key to their attack as the sides were level with 0-6 each after 18 minutes.

Without showing their full potential, UL were able to retake the lead and took a 0-13 to 0-7 lead into the break, as the game began to open up.

As TUS attempted to find a way back in the game, UL had their first goal of the game from Sean Twomey, whose influence was growing in the game, as UL 1-14 to 0-9 lead after 36 minutes.

UL found their groove in the second half as their attacking players found their spark, with their second goal coming in the 44th minute through Mark Rodgers, giving them a 2-16 to 0-12 lead.



While UL were able to keep the scoreboard ticking, Mounsey scored a consolation goal with six minutes remaining. However, UL ran out comfortable winners in the end to advance to the quarter-finals of the Fitzgibbon Cup

In tonight's other game in the FItzgibbon Cup, UCD travelled to Maynooth University in Group C.

It was the Dublin side who got off to the quickest start, with Donal O'Shea among the scers as they had a three point lead after a minute.


Despite the best efforts of Maynooth's Billy Drennan, UCD were always able to keep the scoreboard ticking to maintain their lead, going into the interval with 0-14 to 0-11 lead.

Maynooth responded in the second half and had the lead for the first time in the 39th minute. It toll until the 43rd minute for UCD's first score of the half, as their attack were unable to click.

Maynooth continued their clinical nature and had a two point lead from Pierce Blanchfield in the 46th minute as UCD looked a shadow of their first half performance.


Late free's from Donal O'Shea dragged UCD back to a 0-21 to 0-20 lead for Maynooth, and they somehow grabbed a late winner through Eoin Guilfoyle's goal in the 60th minute to claim a late victory.

SEE ALSO: Fitzgibbon Cup: DCU And University of Galway Reach Quarter-finals

Fitzgibbon Cup



Join The Monday Club Have a tip or something brilliant you wanted to share on? We're looking for loyal Balls readers free-to-join members club where top tipsters can win prizes and Balls merchandise

Processing your request...

You are now subscribed!

Share this article

Copyright © 2024. All rights reserved. Developed by Square1 and powered by PublisherPlus.com