• Home
  • /
  • GAA
  • /
  • Fitzgibbon Cup: University Of Galway Start Campaign With Victory In Cork

Fitzgibbon Cup: University Of Galway Start Campaign With Victory In Cork

Fitzgibbon Cup: University Of Galway Start Campaign With Victory In Cork
Michael Bolton
By Michael Bolton
Share this article

University of Galway got off to a winning start in the first round of the Electric Ireland Fitzgibbon Cup in an entertaining 2-21 to 2-16 win over MTU Cork.

After losing a dramatic final last year to University of Limerick, Jeff Lynskey's side were determined to make a statement in their first game of the Fitzgibbon Cup.

Fitzgibbon Cup Round Up

Last year's beaten finalists got off to a flying start in the game when Greg Thomas gave them a 1-2 lead after just three minutes.

Once the Cork college settled into the game, they were able to show their true quality, and scored their first goal after just nine minutes through Brian Roche.

While University of Galway responded scoring four out of the next five points in the game, MTU Cork were very accurate in the first half and scored their second goal in the 19th minute through Darren Cuddihy, making it 1-10 to 2-105 for MTU Cork.

A strong finish to the first half gave the Cork college a 2-08 to 1-10 lead at the interval, and looked to starting their Fitzgibbon Cup with a big statement.


However, University of Galway came out firing in the second half with 1-6 in the first nine minutes of the second half, including a goal from Galway's Evan Niland, who scored 1-11.


While MTU Cork kept in touch with the Galway college, they didn't show the attacking ruthlessness of the first half. University of Galway also took full advantage of their lack of discipline to run out five point winners.

In tonight's other game in the Fitzgibbon Cup, SETU Carlow and Mary Immaculate College played out a 1-16 draw in Carlow.

The Limerick college got off to a quick start, with Colin O'Brien scoring their first point of the game after three minutes as they had a 0-5 to 0-1 lead after 15 minutes,


Through the duo of Cian Kenny and Conor Nolan, SETU Carlow dragged themselves back into the game, and went in level at the interval 0-8 each.

In a tit for tat second half, neither side could build up a solid lead against the opposition. However, the final ten minutes of the game were absolute chaos.

After Mary Immaculate college scored four points without reply, it looked like the Limerick college would leave with victory. But in the 61st minute, Kenny Ryan scored the game's first goal for the Carlow side to completely change the game.


However, moments later, Cathach Daly scored Mary Immaculate Colleges' goal to give them a one point lead, before Nolan scored a last second free to end the game in a draw.

SEE ALSO: Billy Morgan Says Sigerson Should Be The Main GAA Competition In January 

Billy Morgan Sigerson



Join The Monday Club Have a tip or something brilliant you wanted to share on? We're looking for loyal Balls readers free-to-join members club where top tipsters can win prizes and Balls merchandise

Processing your request...

You are now subscribed!

Share this article

Copyright © 2024. All rights reserved. Developed by Square1 and powered by PublisherPlus.com