The GAA's Standing Committee on the Playing Rules have issued five proposed rule changes for Gaelic Football.
The committee will now engage in a consultation process with various interested bodies including players, coaches, referees and officials. If approved, they would be trialed during the 2019 National Football League.
As outlined by Balls.ie earlier this year, there were a whole host of suggested rule changes to encourage certain diminishing skills in the game. The five proposals are for-a handpass limit, sideline kicks must travel forward except on or inside the opponents 13m line, an offensive mark inside the 20m line, a sin bin and a kick-out zone between the two 45s.
Handpass - To introduce a restriction of three consecutive passes of the ball with the fist or open hand by players of the team in possession.
That the ball shall be played in a forward direction from the kick.
In the case of a side-line kick being taken by an attacking player on or inside the opponents’ 13m line, the ball may be kicked in-any direction.
The Mark – To extend the application of the Mark to the clean catching of the ball on or inside the 20m line from a kick delivered on or beyond the 45m line without it touching the ground.
In the case of a Mark being awarded to an attacking player on or inside the 20m line, the free, if availed of, shall be taken from the point on the 20m line directly in line where the Mark is awarded.
In the case of a Mark being awarded to a defending player on or inside the 20m line, the free kick, if availed of, shall be taken from the point where the Mark is awarded.
The application of the Mark in the two areas of it arising (i.e. as in current Rule and in new Proposal) shall be standardised as follows:
* Up to 15 seconds shall be allowed for a free to be taken from a Mark.
* If the Referee determines that the player who makes the Mark has been injured in the process and unable to take the kick, the Referee shall direct the player’s nearest team mate to take the kick.
* A score may be made from a free awarded for a Mark.
* The normal Rules governing free-kicks shall apply (e.g. players being 13m from the ball before it is kicked).
A free-kick from a Mark shall be taken from the hand(s) only.
If a player opts to ‘play on’ when awarded a Mark, he may be challenged i.e. provisions (b) (i) and (ii) of the current Mark Rule shall not apply during the experimentation.
Sin-Bin – The Penalty on the day for a Black Card Infraction or two Yellow Card Infractions - an ordering off for ten minutes in a Sin Bin.
A subsequent Black Card Infraction shall be penalised by the showing of a Black Card followed by a Red Card. A subsequent Yellow Card Infraction shall be penalised by the showing of a Yellow Card followed by a Red Card. In either case there shall be no substitution allowed.
The maximum number of substitutions in normal time to return to five.
The Duties of a Referee and Sideline Official to be amended in accordance with this Proposal.
For a kick-out, two players only from each team shall be positioned between the two 45m lines.
The goalkeeper and a maximum of six players from each team shall be behind the respective 45m lines, until the ball is kicked.
The ball from the kick-out shall travel beyond the 45m line before being played by a player of the defending team.
Other Rules relating to the kick-out to remain unchanged.
(1) For another player on the team taking a kick-out to play the ball before it has travelled outside the 45m line or has-been played by an opposing player.
(i) Cancel kick-out
(ii) Throw in the ball on defenders’ 20m line in front of the scoring space.
(2) For a player to cross a 45m line before the ball is kicked for the kick-out.
(3) For a player(s) to, in the opinion of the referee, deliberately seek to delay the kick-out by not retreating behind the 45m lines in a timely manner.
Penalty for the above Fouls:
A 45m free off the ground and in front of the scoring space shall be awarded to the opposing team.
(4) For a player(s) of each team to simultaneously cross the 45m line(s) before the ball is kicked from the kick-out:
A throw-in ball shall be awarded on the centre of the 45m line involved or at the centre of the field (if infringements are made on both 45m lines).