Dublin have refused to conduct one-on-one interviews with broadcast media outlets in the aftermath of their Leinster Championship hammering of Westmeath.
Marty Morrissey told of Dublin's decision on the Six One News, where he said he been hoping to bring reaction from the Dublin camp to today's victory. Instead, that did not happen, as he told viewers that Dublin refused to do one-on-one interviews with broadcast media outlets.
Morrissey said that it is believed that the decision has been made as a result of the coverage of the incident involving Diarmuid Connolly against Carlow in the previous round of the Leinster Championship. Connolly has been given a 12-week ban for pushing a linesman during the Leinster quarter-final victory over Carlow in Portlaoise. Dublin contested the decision, but after the appeal was upheld by the Central Hearings Committee, it was pursued no further.
Dublin did, however, allow broadcast media attend the regular press conference with the print media.
Dublin refusing to speak to all broadcast media in the Croke Park tunnel. #GAA
— Off The Ball (@offtheball) June 25, 2017
At that press conference, Gavin voiced his displeasure over the treatment of Connolly:
What concerns me is how his good name was attacked. Before we even saw the referee's report, we have the national broadcaster, both Pat Spillane and Colm O'Rourke, particularly Pat, who had a pre-determined statement. We saw the rulebook being read out against him on Sky Sports. Supporters have come to me and asked me what's going on, and why is this imbalance happening. I am struggling to give them a balanced and proportionate opinion to them.
It was my decision to pursue with the CHC, to get their opinion on it. We received advice from senior counsel that, if this went to arbitration, this case wouldn't hold. Diarmuid didn't want that to happen, he wanted to move on in the best interests of the team, that's what he decided to do.
Within 24 hours, before the referee's report had been signed off, there was a...not a media campaign, but it got a lot of traction in the media, and more importantly, [regarding] the right he has as an individual in the Republic, I think his good name was certainly attacked.
Speaking to Morrissey on the RTE News, former Donegal footballer Kevin Cassidy was asked if he was surprised by the decision taken by the Dubs:
I am to be honest. I suppose the incident was fairly black and white. The severity of the punishment lies in the hands of Croke Park.
"I can't see the benefits to the Dublin backroom team or squads by doing this. I am a little bit disappointed.
Gavin's comments can be listened to below, courtesy of FM 104.
Jim Gavin slams media coverage of Connolly saga https://t.co/Xi5kBeL44A
— FM104 (@FM104) June 25, 2017