LGFA Outlines Timeline Of Decision To Switch All-Ireland Semi-Final Venue

LGFA Outlines Timeline Of Decision To Switch All-Ireland Semi-Final Venue

The LGFA says that the decision to move Sunday's All-Ireland semi-final between Cork and Galway from Parnell Park to Croke Park was made "in the interests of player safety".

The Parnell Park pitch was found to be unplayable following a Sunday morning pitch inspection. On two hours notice, the teams were informed they would be playing the last-four game at Croke Park. Galway were travelling to Dublin at the time while Cork had stayed in the capital overnight.

TG4 had been scheduled to provide live coverage of the game. However, due to the lateness of the venue change, they were unable to do so.

Cork defeated Galway by 10 points, setting up an All-Ireland final against Dublin on December 20th.

In a statement, the LGFA outlined the timeline of the decision to move the game:

"The Ladies Gaelic Football Association wishes to clarify matters arising from today’s TG4 All-Ireland Ladies Senior Football Championship semi-final between Cork and Galway.

"A morning pitch inspection deemed the original venue, Parnell Park, unplayable, due to severe frost.


"The decision to move the game from Parnell Park, therefore, was made in the interests of player safety.

"A request to accommodate the fixture at Croke Park was made to the GAA at 10:20am, and the LGFA was informed at 11am that the game could be played there.

"The Galway team, in Kinnegad at the time, received first notification at 10:53am that there was an issue with Parnell Park.

"We were acutely aware that Galway were travelling at the time, and they were informed that the LGFA had contacted Croke Park in relation to a potential venue and time change.

"Galway were informed, once confirmation was forthcoming from Croke Park, at 11am, that they should proceed to the venue, for a 1pm throw-in.


"The 1pm throw-in time was scheduled due to the fact that a result on the day was required, with extra-time and 30m kicks a possibility.

"Cork, who were based in Dublin overnight, were also contacted at this stage and made aware of the new arrangements.

"While recognising that a change of venue and time was not ideal, the alternative was to postpone the game. The health and safety of our players was to the forefront in the LGFA’s decision to proceed at Croke Park.

"We wish to thank the GAA most sincerely for making Croke Park available to the LGFA at short notice.

"The game got underway at 1:10pm, to afford both teams an extra ten minutes to prepare.

"The LGFA regrets that the game was not available to viewers, despite concerted efforts to secure live coverage.

"We congratulate Cork on qualifying for the Final against Dublin at Croke Park on December 20, and offer our commiserations to Galway on the day."

Photo by Ramsey Cardy/Sportsfile

See Also: Cork Keeper Anthony Nash Retires From Inter-County Hurling

anthony nash retired cork hurling

PJ Browne
Article written by

You may also like