The second day of the 2022 Cheltenham Festival is done.
It was a memorable one for Willie Mullins as the 65-year-old claimed his first ever victory in the Champion Chase with Energumene and Paul Townend obliging after favourite Shishkin pulled up early. Earlier in the day, Mullins had his 80th Cheltenham winner with Sir Gerhard winning the Ballymore.
There was also a near fairytale ending for Tiger Roll's career, but the crowd favourite was just beaten to the line in the Cross County Chase by another Michael O'Leary-owned and Gordon Elliot-trained runner, Delta Work.
Ahead of the Ryanair Chase at 2:50pm today, jockey Paul Townend has picked Allaho as his banker for The Festival.
— Balls.ie (@ballsdotie) March 17, 2022
Many Cheltenham tips were offered. Some came good, some didn't. Here at the world famous Balls.ie Tipsters Table, we compile all the tips that are made in the print media.
Here are the top tipsters after Day two of the Cheltenham festival. The Irish Sun's tipsters, Hayley Moore in particular, have been the most prolific so far.
- Hayley Moore (Irish Sun) - 8 winners
- Eamon Hames (Irish Sun) - 6 winners
- Wayne Bailey (Irish Independent) - 5 winners
- Sunratings (Irish Sun) - 5 winners
- Formcast (Irish Daily Mail) - 4 winners
- Peter O'Hehir (Irish Daily Mirror) - 4 winners
- Darren Norris (Irish Examiner) - 4 winners
- Lizzie Kelly (Irish Daily Mail) - 4 winners
- Brian Flanagan (Irish Daily Star) - 4 winners
- Marcus Townend (Irish Daily Mail) - 4 winners
Onto Thursday's Cheltenham Festival racing, which begins with the Turners Novices' Chase. Though there are just four runners, it should be an enthralling battle between Willie Mullins's Galopin Des Champs and Henry de Bromhead's Bob Olinger.
In the Ryanair Chase, another Mullins horse, Allaho, ridden by Paul Townend, is the short-priced favourite.
The day's other big race, the Stayers' Hurdle, is a wide open affair with several runners like Flooring Porter, Champ, Thyme Hill and Klassical Dream all tipped.