At what was intended to be a promotional event for UFC 223 in Brooklyn this weekend, the recently-deposed lightweight champion Conor McGregor determined that the build-up to this fight may well be remembered long after the event itself is finished.
Turning up at the Barclay's Centre with a number of acquaintances, footage from inside the arena would suggest that the Irish fighter came with the sole intention of causing trouble.
Dana White, the president of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, has condemned McGregor's actions, and, if the tone of his statement is any indicator, will not work with McGregor again.
Although White suggested that the New York Police Department had issued a warrant for McGregor's arrest, these claims were later proven to be false.
Just spoke to a spokesman for the NYPD. There is no warrant out for Conor McGregor’s arrest at this time, he said. They are, though, looking for him and want to speak with him, the spokesman said. No one has filed charges against McGregor at this moment.
— Marc Raimondi (@marcraimondi) April 5, 2018
What can be confirmed however is that the NYPD are looking to speak to McGregor regarding his role in an attack that has left a number of people injured; most notably the UFC fighter Michael Chiesa who suffered lacerations when McGregor launched an item at a bus carrying fighters for this weekend's event.
Police in New York are looking to speak with #ConorMcGregor regarding an alleged assault in Brooklyn, involving a group of MMA fighters. They have confirmed to 3 News that - contrary to reports online - that there is no warrant for McGregor's arrest. More on 3 News at 10 on Be3
— Virgin Media News (@VirginMediaNews) April 5, 2018
Having been widely condemned for his dangerous and irresponsible behaviour, White suggested that McGregor had made a very bad "career move" with this latest stunt.
Famously involved in a money-spinning boxing match with Floyd Mayweather last year, McGregor has not fought on a UFC card since November 2016.