• Home
  • /
  • Motorsport
  • /
  • Oscar Piastri Opens Up On 'Bizarre' Feud With Alpine Over 2023 Seat

Oscar Piastri Opens Up On 'Bizarre' Feud With Alpine Over 2023 Seat

Oscar Piastri Opens Up On 'Bizarre' Feud With Alpine Over 2023 Seat
By Gary Connaughton Updated

Every Formula 1 season sees a bit of a shakeup in the driver lineups around the various teams, but there have been few incidents of personnel changes as bizarre as the one involving Oscar Piastri in recent times.

The Australian has been part of Alpine for a number of years, although he had yet to take one of the two seats available in the team.

When Sebastien Vettel announced his upcoming retirement, the team revealed that Piastri would take his place for the 2023 season. However, the driver himself had other ideas.

He took to social media to reveals that he would not be racing for Alpine next year.

Advertisement

At that stage, some suggested he could be on his way to McLaren to replace compatriot Daniel Ricciardo. Despite this, both the driver and team said they were committed to fulfilling the final year of their contract together.

Of course, it would later emerge that McLaren were going to released Ricciardo. Piastri will be driving for the team next year after his contract situation with Alpine was resolved.

Oscar Piastri opens up on 'bizarre' Alpine dispute

Oscar Piastri has now opened up on how the misunderstanding with Alpine occurred.

Advertisement

Speaking to the F1 website, he said he felt he had little other option but to pursue other options prior to the team announcing that they would give him a seat for 2023, something he was not consulted about.

To be completely honest, there was a lack of clarity around my future at the team at Alpine.

They publicly stated they wished to continue with Fernando [Alonso] for at least one or two more years. I respect that.

But after spending the year out, my hopes were firmly set on an Alpine seat and the lack of clarity and, similarly to Fernando, a bit of a strange feeling in negotiations, it didn't feel like it was the right decision for me [to stay around].

The lack of clarity around my future, and ultimately a breakdown in trust, I felt the very attractive offer of McLaren and the positive dealings with them thus far were all reasons why I felt McLaren was where I was best off for the future...

It was done publicly in front of some members of the team who were oblivious to the situation and I didn't want to cause a scene in front of them. Once we were in private, I told Otmar what our position was and what he had been told multiple times before that. It was very surprising to me to make that announcement.

It was the biggest moment of my career and probably my life up to now.

To have that falsely announced was something my management and I felt we had to correct and there was also potential legal implications if we didn't deny the announcement.

Oscar Piastri will now be driving for McLaren next year, hoping to arrest what has been a fairly dramatic decline for the team over the last couple of seasons.

Advertisement

As for Daniel Ricciardo, it remains to be seen if he can secure a seat for 2023.

SEE ALSO: Fernando Alonso Aims Dig At British Media After His Lewis Hamilton 'Idiot' Comment


Join The Monday Club Have a tip or something brilliant you wanted to share on? We're looking for loyal Balls readers free-to-join members club where top tipsters can win prizes and Balls merchandise

Processing your request...

You are subscribed now!

Copyright © 2022. All rights reserved. Developed by Square1 and powered by PublisherPlus.com

Advertisement