Another revelation in the football abuse scandal tonight as the Telegraph report that Chelsea made a secret payment to an alleged victim.
The player contacted the club a few years ago, emboldened by the outbreak of the Jimmy Savile scandal. He alleged that he had been abused in the 1970s by the Chelsea chief scout Eddie Heath.
The club made a payment on the condition that the player, his family and his lawyers keep quiet about any alleged abuse.
The Telegraph report that when confronted by the paper, the club did not the allegations that they made the made the payment.
Chelsea released a statement on the matter late this evening.
Chelsea Football Club has retained an external law firm to carry out an investigation concerning an individual employed by the club in the 1970s, who is now deceased. The club has also contacted the FA to ensure that all possible assistance is provided as part of their wider investigation. This will include providing the FA with any relevant information arising out of the club’s investigation.
While the club’s investigation is ongoing, we will make no further comment on this matter.
Rumours about Heath's behaviour had swirled around the club for a long time. However, former Chelsea and Manchester United player Ray Wilkins said the allegations made no sense to him and that he found Heath to be "fantastic."
A Chelsea source of the Times' Martin Zeigler tells a different story.
Have spoken to one ex-Chelsea trainee who said all the boys warned the newcomers to avoid Heath in showers, car trips etc
— Martyn Ziegler (@martynziegler) November 29, 2016
The chief scout is now deceased.
Read the rest of the Telegraph expose here.