Munster have confirmed Joey Carbery will be unavailable for an "indefinite period of time".
Carbery is still struggling with the ankle injury he picked up over a year ago according to Munster Head Coach Johann van Graan.
The 24-year-old sustained the injury when playing against Italy for Ireland in a World Cup warm up game. He was hoping to be back soon but following a meeting with his specialist he has been advised to delay his return.
In a statement earlier today , Van Graan said that although the news of a setback was disappointing the priority is to look after Carbery.
"As disappointing as the latest news is, we have Joey at the centre of it all, going through this, and doing everything right in making sure that when he returns to the pitch he stays on the pitch," said Van Graan.
"That’s what we all want at the end of this, and undoubtedly it has been a tough blow for him, but he has shown great resilience already and will do everything that’s asked of him for this next phase also.
"A serious injury like his can heal in different ways and now that we’re moving into the return to rugby stage the ankle isn’t where it should be in hitting those next markers.
"David (Nucifora), Andy (Farrell) and I spoke with Joey last week and all want what’s best for him. We know his standing in the province and Irish rugby and how important he is to us all. Our priority is to look after him. He is a young man with huge sporting talent and a bright future, we are here to support Joey at every stage giving him the time he needs.
"There is a lot of rugby to be played in the coming season and we look forward to welcoming Joey back when he is fully recovered."
Carbery labelled the setback as "incredibly frustrating" but hopes to be pain free soon.
In more positive news for Munster, Tadhg Beirne has returned to training with the team following a leg injury. Mike Haley, Dan Goggin, and Roman Salanoa are all still out.
Munster will take on Leinster at the Aviva Stadium this Saturday at 7.35pm as the rugby season kicks off again.