Ospreys Release Statement After Dan Biggar HIA Controversy

Ospreys Release Statement After Dan Biggar HIA Controversy

Leinster's dramatic win away to Ospreys on Saturday saw them maintain their status as league leaders in the Pro 12, but it also raised further concerns over the safety of the head injury assessment protocol that is currently in operation.

Ospreys out-half Dan Biggar left the field for a HIA in the 58th minute of the match and returned moments later after being given the all clear, however, after missing a relatively easy kick that ended up costing his team the game, he admitted in his post-match interview that he did not really remember the last 10 minutes of the game.

SEE ALSO: Watch: Dan Biggar Gives Extremely Concerning Interview Despite Passing HIA

This is a very alarming thing for a player to say after taking a blow to the head, and Ospreys have since released a statement regarding the controversy that had brewing in the hours after the final whistle.

Dan Biggar left the field during the second half match to receive medical treatment for an eye wound. Before being allowed to return to the field Dan underwent, and passed, a head injury assessment as per the required protocol and satisfied the medical team that he was fit to continue.

Having resumed playing, Dan reported no further symptoms and his actions caused no undue concern for the medical team at that time.

After the match Dan underwent a thorough assessment with the medical team, as is standard procedure for such occurrences, at which time they were made aware of his comments in a television interview immediately after the final whistle.

Dan will continue to be monitored as part of the HIA protocol in case of any delayed reaction. He will need to pass each stage and satisfy stringent criteria before being ruled fit to play.

The medical welfare and wellbeing of players is the utmost priority of everybody involved at the Ospreys at all times.


In fairness, the Welsh club are not at fault in this situation, as Biggar passed the tests that the medical staff were instructed to give.

Instead, this once again raises the question as to whether or not these head injury assessments are thorough enough, as despite passing the tests Biggar was clearly still suffering from the effects of concussion for the remainder of the match.

It is the system is at fault in this instance, and as many have been calling for improvements to the HIA tests for some time there will understandably be a lot of frustration as a result of this latest incident.


Mikey Traynor

You may also like