We all know there's no such thing as a sure thing but that doesn't stop us putting on ridiculous accumulators each week that very rarely win. Accumulators that contain several so called "sure things" only for one team to let you down. With this in mind; we're going to explore a couple of alternative ways to use accumulators.
Option 1: Alternative Market Accumulator
Rather than hoping that all 12 or however many teams in an accumulator win, lets try something slightly different. We're only going to choose 5 teams except we're going to use the score handicap or both teams to score markets e.t.c. to up the odds. A few of us in the office have chosen a match each and this is what we came up with:
1) Chelsea Win v Swansea & Over 3.5 goals - 5/2
2) Vfl Wolfsburg Win v Eintracht-Frankfurt & Both Teams to Score - 8/5
3) Brentford v Ipswich (Both teams to score) - 4/6
4) Cobh Ramblers v Shelbourne handicap draw (1.0) - 13/5
5) Aston Villa & Draw v Bournemouth - 4/5
A €10 accumulator on these games returns €982.80
(Prices from Paddy Power)
Option 2: The Rolling Accumulator - Turn €10 into €100 over one weekend
This one's for the less adventurous among us. It's called the rolling accumulator and involves placing an initial €10 euro bet on a single match and if/when it pays out you keep your initial tenner and only put the profit on the next match. This profit then keeps rolling onto the next bet and so on. Let's look at a possible example for this weekend. (Prices from Paddy Power). Of course you don't have to use these bets; you can try this with your own selections.
Bet 1: Rangers 1/2 v St Mirren (KO: 19:45, 7/8/15) - €10 returns €15.
We keep our original €10 bet and roll the €5 profit on to the next bet!
Bet 2: Man Utd 8/13 v Tottenham (KO: 12:45, 8/8/15) - €5 returns €8.08
Bet 3: Leyton Orient evens v Barnet (KO: 15:00, 8/8/15) - €8.08 returns €16.06
Bet 4: Marseille 4/7 v Caen (KO: 20:00, 8/8/15) - €16.06 returns €25.24
Bet 5: Arsenal 3/10 v West Ham (KO: 13:30, 9/8/15) - €25.24 returns €32.81
Bet 6: Espanyol 5/6 v Getafe (KO: 16:00, 9/8/15) - €32.81 returns €60.15
Bet 7: Lyon 4/7 v Lorient (KO: 20:00, 9/8/15) - €60.15 returns €94.52
The benefits of this method are:
- You can cut and run between games at full odds rather than the cut odds you get for cashing out of an accumulator
- If the first bet wins you already have your money back
- You can't "bet and forget"; in fact, you have to pay attention because there isn't much time between these matches
- The first bet loses then it's all over, but that's the same as a normal accumulator
- It can be hard to organise due to kick off times
These bets as an accumulator would return €285.21 from a €10 bet. In case you were wondering!