Both the Mayo News and the Connacht Telegraph reported on Tuesday of major troubles In Mayo GAA.
10 days ago, the Mayo senior football panel passed a vote of no confidence in joint managers Noel Connelly and Pat Holmes.
Speaking to RTÉ Sport, Mike Connelly - county chairman and brother of Noel Connelly - described Mayo football as being in a 'bad place' right now.
We're in a bad place at the minute.
We've got to open up negotiations with players to find out exactly what has caused this problem.
We've had the process to eliminate anything like this happening.
On Newstalk's Off the Ball, Mayo GAA secretary Vincent Neary called the news a 'complete bombshell' to the county board.
He also disclosed that a meeting between the county board and player reps is scheduled.
This is a complete bombshell to the Mayo board and the Mayo management and to their families. They put their whole lives on hold for the last year and for this to break is not something that anyone wants.
The Mayo county board has in place a process to avoid such controversies. We have regular meetings with two player reps to discuss any issues that way arise within the camp.
We were due to meet tow player reps after the Championship and that is scheduled to go ahead next Thursday. We're just awaiting confirmation from the player reps.
That has become more urgent that ever. We need to tease out this total bombshell. There have been no reasons given for why this has happened.
Neary also said that this morning was the first he had heard regarding such unrest among players.
There will always be rumours but nothing coming from any particular player. Normally, after any campaign there will be rumours with not much else to talk about.
Mayo News sports editor Mike Finnerty told Balls.ie on Tuesday that the county has been alive with rumours for quite a while.
Picture credit: Piaras Ó Mídheach / SPORTSFILE