• Home
  • /
  • GAA
  • /
  • Sigerson Cup: University of Galway In Quarters After Win Over UCD

Sigerson Cup: University of Galway In Quarters After Win Over UCD

Sigerson Cup: University of Galway In Quarters After Win Over UCD
Michael Bolton
By Michael Bolton
Share this article

2022 Champions University of Galway took another step towards retaining their Sigerson Cup title with a 2-11 to 1-06 win over UCD in Dublin.

After victory in their first game, the Galway college wasted no time as Tom Culhane scored their first goal after three minutes.

It was a first half, where both sides defenses were on top, with the Galway college leading 1-2 to 0-2 after 20 minutes. Just two minutes later, UCD scored their only goal of the game to bring the sides level.

University of Galway responded quickly as points from Matthew Tierney and Cathal Sweeney gave them a three point lead at the interval.

Scores from Paul Kelly and Tierney kept the scoreboard ticking for the Galway college, but UCD were in arms reach for majority of the game. It wasn't until the 57th minute when a goal from Sweeney opened up a seven point lead for Maurice Sheridan's side, as they cruised into the quarter-finals of the Sigerson Cup.

Sigerson Cup Round Up

In the other games in the Sigerson Cup, MTU Cork's late rally earned them a 3-14 to 2-11 win over Maynooth University.


Maynooth University got off to the perfect start through Fionn O'Giollain's goal in the the third minute.


They had a 1-2 to 0-0 lead after nine minutes, but MTU Cork found their rhythm from the 10th minute on, with O'Donovan who scored three out of their net four points to bring them back into the game.

With both sides exchanging points, the Cork college had their first goal through Maguire in the 25th minute, with Maynooth taking a 1-7 to 1-6 lead at the interval.

The second half started in reverse of the first, as a Walsh goal put MTU Cork ahead, but Maynooth responded with their second goal through Donal Conlon.


Neither side could build up a lead in a tit for tat second half, until an incredible late flurry of 1-4 in the final minutes secured a vital victory for MTU Cork.

In the night's other game in the Sigerson Cup, St Mary's made light work of ATU Sligo.

While they may not have got their first score until the 18th minute, a 23rd minute goal from Cormac Murphy gave them a 1-3 to 0-1 lead. With neither side offering much in attack, the Belfast college went in with a 1-4 to 0-2 lead at the break.


The second half was a cagey encounter, but St Mary's done enough to run out as comfortable winners.

SEE ALSO: Billy Morgan Says Sigerson Should Be Main GAA January Competition 

Billy Morgan Sigerson



Join The Monday Club Have a tip or something brilliant you wanted to share on? We're looking for loyal Balls readers free-to-join members club where top tipsters can win prizes and Balls merchandise

Processing your request...

You are now subscribed!

Share this article

Copyright © 2024. All rights reserved. Developed by Square1 and powered by PublisherPlus.com