As the embers of Conor McGregor's bout with Khabib Nurmagomedov finally burn out, and Joe Brolly continues "sounding out influential TDs and senators" about the future of mixed martial arts in Ireland, the UFC's Artem Lobov has been the source of an unlikely good news story.
Yet another of those fighters who work with coach John Kavanagh, the apparent "embodiment of this dystopian nightmare" that is the UFC, it occurred this morning as the weigh-in for UFC Fight Night 138 was carried out.
Scheduled to fight at the event, Lobov had been left without an opponent only a fortnight out.
Stepping into the featherweight bout at late notice was Michael Johnson, an American fighter who has previously taken on the likes of Khabib, Nate Diaz and Tony Ferguson.
At 32-years-old and with only two wins from his last seven fights, Johnson evidently suffered during his brief preparation for the bout. As this morning's weigh-in, Lobov's opponent found himself 1 lbs over the required weight.
Subsequently, 20% of Johnson's purse for the fight would be given to his opponent Artem Lobov.
Wishing to demonstrate his respect for Johnson's decision to take the fight at such short notice, the 32-year-old Russian fighter informed his opponent that he would be keeping that 20%.
I’m told @RusHammerMMA went up to Johnson afterwards and said he will make sure MJ gets the full 20% back bc he is appreciative of the fact that MJ took the fight on short notice. The rules are Lobov has to take the money but he gave Johnson his word he’ll get it back to him.
— Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) October 26, 2018
Although Artem Lobov is required to take the money in accordance with the rules, he has assured Michael Johnson that it will be making its way back to the American.
Given the bout's relatively modest placing on the night's undercard, it is a simple and generous act that would appear to suggest some semblance of respect between fighters is there after all.
Who'd have guessed?