England centre Manu Tuilagi will miss the World Cup after pleading guilty to assaulting a police officer.
The Samoan born centre had already been a doubt due to persistent injuries. He has lately suffered from a groin injury which ruled out for most of last season.
But this news today puts paid to any notion of him being part of England's World Cup campaign.
The news was broken by Alex Lowe of the London Times.
EXCLUSIVE: Manu Tuilagi will miss the World Cup after pleading guilty to assaulting a police officer. @TimesSport
— Alex Lowe (@AlexMLowe) May 15, 2015
Tuilagi plead guilty today to assaulting a female police officer and another charge of criminal damage. He has been ordered to pay £6,205 in fines, compensation, charges and costs.
Stuart Lancaster has said that Tuilagi will not be considered for selection for the rest of the year. He says that 'England will continue to liaise with Leicester Tigers and they have every confidence that the club will support Manu in the right way.'