The future of Joey Carbery and thus the future of the Ireland out-half position has been the subject of much speculation this season.
Though he is Ireland's backup ten, that is not the case with Leinster. Instead, he has played much of his rugby this season at fullback.
Speculation rose a note last month when the Sunday Times reported that Joe Schmidt along with IRFU performance director David Nucifora visited Leo Cullen for a chat regarding the careers of Carbery and Ross Byrne.
Leinster, it was said, would have to choose which player they wanted to keep. The other would be heading to Ravenhill. Paddy Jackson's departure confirmed, Ulster are in need of an out-half for next season.
The Herald's Des Berry this morning reports that Carbery is "strongly considering" a short-term move to Ulster. It's a move which should provide the game time at out-half which Schmidt is said to feel Carbery requires if he is to secure his place as one of Ireland's tens for the 2019 Rugby World Cup. The deal would be solely for next season.
Pictures on social media last week showed Carbery and Schmidt meeting in a Dublin cafe. The occurrence of that meeting has been backed up by today's report.
Photo by Ramsey Cardy/Sportsfile